BUILD US A BIRDHOUSE AND ENTER FOR A CHANCE TO WIN A $20 VISA GIFT CARD!
This year, the Committee is working to install additional nesting boxes for various species of birds and flying squirrel. Due to the current pandemic environment, we are unable to hold a "nest box building day" at the Camp. So we are adapting. We are providing detailed instructions on how to build a functional nesting box for the various species of birds found on the Camp grounds. Anyone who builds a nesting box according to specifications and delivers it to the Committee by August 2nd, will be entered in a draw to win one of five $20 VISA gift cards.
TIPS ON HOW TO BUILD A GOOD BIRDHOUSE!
- it's well constructed using untreated wood and galvanized screws
- it keeps the birds dry with a sloped roof, recessed floor and drainage holes
- it helps regulate temperature with thick walls and ventilation holes
- it helps to keep out predators with no perches
- it has the right entrance size for the right bird
- it helps fledglings leave the nest with roughened interior walls
- it makes placement and maintenance easy
- 20 nesting boxes for black capped chickadees, white-breasted nuthatch, great-crested flycatcher, northern flicker and the american robin
- 5 nesting boxes for wood ducks
- 5 nesting boxes for screech owls
We are truly blessed to have cottages, that serve us as a refuge from the hustle and bustle of everyday life, surrounded by mother nature. Let's work together to preserve these wonders so that we may continue to enjoy them for generations to come.
~ We look forward to your masterpieces! ~